Wednesday 22 January 2014

Sometimes I wonder..

 Something really interesting happened today.

A reputable plus size blogger/owner in Costa Rica sent me a link via Facebook on how she wish to see me (KAYLENE) in Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week 2014 in (San Jose, California)

This set me emotional and got me into tears. How sweet this girl is. She truly believes in me. She truly supports KAYLENE. I am so touched by this simple gesture of hers. It meant the world to me because I finally felt that my purpose and direction for KAYLENE has finally been recognised. As much as I love the idea of someone from such a far away place giving me support on my purpose, it was an irony that it was someone from a far away place America who believed in me. o.m.g... Where is the love back home?

Dont get me wrong, I have uncountable customers who walk up to me and tell me that they love our designs and they know that I am doing the right thing, they even sent me late night text telling me that they have thought through the convo we had (in shop) and encouraged me that I am on the right track. I am very grateful to each and everyone of them. But the rest? The snide remarks made from customers to competitors (unfortunately I know them) It can be disheartening but truly, I know where they are coming from. They just happen not to know my side of story. That why I hesitate for a very loooong time if I should bare out my thoughts and tell you my version for the change in KAYLENE.

Thinking through the collections for this whole 2014 and the direction is going for, I was buried with lots of sketches and clippings and print outs with designs that I really love. With no foundation in fashion designing, I need to be extremely hardworking to make sure that the designs will turn out fabulous and most importantly that each customer that owns the pieces will understand the perfect fit and the story behind creating that gorgeous piece. Costing is naturally on top of the my concern list. With my new factory in Singapore telling me how silly I am in pricing and the potential consequences that will happen if I continue to price them like this, I naturally will stress on each pretty designs. 'Will I be able to sell them? Will I be able to get the customers to understand the idea of this pretty piece?'

I realised that I am morphing into a designer more than just a plus size retailer. The difference is that a retailer just purely source products from various countries and often, workmanship is lacking on the area. The retailers also tends to order in huge bulks like by the hundreds or even thousands to bring down the cost and it usually results in 'clashing designs' on the streets. I started to think about the direction I am heading and got really confused with what is the best for KAYLENE because sad to say, we are not very supportive of local talents. I reminded myself that regardless what even there is only 1 person who believes in this brand, I must try my very best and give my best shot. For this case in particular, because of the blogger (in Costa Rica) I am determined to overcome each and every hurdle I encounter.

So 'What is your next step, Kayde?' you may ask. I found my answer. I will not let gossipmongers and naysayers to punch me down. KAYLENE has the potential to grow as a independent designer brand and has so much out there for be able showcase her beauty. I will never know if this will ever be fulfilled in Singapore and I do not care. I only know that as long as my dignity as a designer stays clean, brings out the best in each and every plus size girl in Singapore and through clothes creating self love to each and everyone of us, I believe I will have supportors.

This blog has been heavily editted and as you read it seems very choppy and alot of hidden message put across. Yup, I did it deliberate. For those who know me long enough will know exactly what I am talking about and why this post was done this way. I have made up my mind and I will look forward to new endeavours. My question now back to you is ' Will you take my hand and walk with me in this uncertain journey?'


No comments:

Post a Comment